Monday, March 28, 2011

First day on the South Beach Diet

Well I'm here.  Day one of the South Beach Diet.  Its about time since I've been thinking of doing this diet for a month or so.  I just got back from a week in Mexico, where I drank buckets of margaritas and ate chips and guac like they were going out of style.  I figured what better time to hop on the healthy bandwagon than when you feel that post vacation guilt (and gut :)).

The thing about me is, when I decide I am going to do something, I commit 100%.  So when I first heard about this diet (through an interview with Dr. Oz on my favorite morning radio show: Johnjay and Rich- if you don't know them, check them out!) I decided to look into it.  The diet is based on the principal that losing weight is a bonus, the real goal is get your body running in its best possible form.  I am a huge advocate of health and nutrition so when I realized this diet is meant to be a lifestyle I was all the more convinced of what it can do for my body.  After doing a bit of research I went to one of my favorite sites Amazon and quickly bought four books.  I have read them now cover to cover (lots of spare time while lounging by the pool) and Jon and I went to the store last night to stock up on healthy veggies and lean proteins.  I'm ready to take this diet on!!!

Breakfast
I spent about 3 hours last night cooking todays breakfast, lunch and last nights dinner.  *side note: I NEVER cook so I'm hoping thid diet will help me in that arena as well!  For breakfast I wanted to try to egg muffins that I have read a few GREAT reviews of on various blogs, like Kalyns Kitchen.  They were super easy.  Chop of veggies, mix with egg whites and hot sauce and throw them in a muffin tin to bake for 20 minutes.  Of course we had to try them last night, just make sure they were as delish as everyone was saying :)  The good news is, THEY WERE!  I had four of them this morning (but they were mini so it didn't feel like too much) along with lots 'o water.  I ate them at about 8:45 and I'm still stuffed!  Excited to break into the snaks and lunch I packed though too!  I'll update on those shortly.

They look much prettier when just coming out of the oven, but the taste just as great no matter what!
Egg Muffins Recipe
(Makes 12 muffins, recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from The South Beach Diet book)

15 eggs (for silicone muffin pans, use 12 eggs for metal muffin tins or individual silicone cups. You can use less egg yolks and more egg white if you prefer.)
1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning
1-2 cups grated low fat cheese (I like sharp cheddar or a blend of cheddar/Jack cheese, use less cheese if using meat)
Optional, but highly recommended, 3 green onions diced small.
Optional: chopped veggies such as blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. (Using veggies will reduce the fat content)
Optional: diced Canadian bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage

Preheat oven to 375 F. Use regular or silicone muffin pan, 12 muffin size. If using silicone pan, spray with nonstick spray. If using regular muffin pan, put two paper liners into each slot, then spray liner with nonstick spray.


In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, if using, cheese and green onions. You want the muffin cups to be about 2/3 full, with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients. Break eggs into large measuring bowl with pour spout, add Spike, and beat well. (I used to add a bit of half and half or milk, but lately I like the way they turn out without it.) Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full. I like to stir slightly with a fork. Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep at least a week in the refrigerator without freezing. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. Microwave on high about 2 minutes to reheat.




Workout
I am also in the middle of my second go round of P90X.  I am in my last phase of the Lean routine.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this program!  I have always been active, but over the years I really gravitated toward running and group fitness.  The problem with group fitness classes is that you have to be there at a certain time....and I was finding I would start to get stressed if I knew I had a class to make but work was holding me back.  In came P90X.  I do this workout in my livingroom first thing in the morning (most days :).  Then I cut out the drive time to/from the gym and I can take the "group fitness" classes whenever I want.  I just pop in the DVD and am good to go!  This mornings workout was Chest and Back followed by the Ab Ripper.  This is not my favoite routine, but on the lean program you only have to do this twice in  3 months.  I can handle that!  And I feel so strong after I do bunches of push ups and pulls ups! 

Now, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment